Dominican Republic, The Place That I Called Home

I feel very proud and fortunate to be born in this tropical paradise named Dominican Republic.  It´s one of the countries that make up the islands of the Caribbean Sea.  The Dominican Republic Was discovered by Cristobal Colon in 1492, and throughout the time it has been considered as a tourist destination; partly because of the kindness of its people and also because of the many attractions of its land, such as Punta Cana, Jarabacoa, Samana, Rio San Juan and Puerto Plata.  In the mentioned points you can find and enjoy beautiful beaches, hotels, golf areas, aquatic attractions, wonderful flowers, as well as historical points.

I was born and grew up in Santo Domingo, capital of the Dominican Republic, and this wonderful place is the one  that I call my home.  When I think of my country, I can imagine feeling the fresh air in the morning hit me and the rich coffee´s aroma waiting for me at the table, before I go to work.  Our houses are colorful and unlike American´s houses, they are made of bricks.  However, in my house you can feel warm and welcomed at all the time, because the weather is always warm and tropical.  People at Dominican Republic are gentle and helpful.  I remember that whenever I was walking or driving on my way to work people always greeted each other even though they knew the person or not.  Also, we can find beautiful buildings such as the mall, state buildings, and commercial buildings.

In Dominican Republic, we have festivals, carnivals and patron parties at each county, where you can enjoy our typical music and people´s happiness.  These parties usually are colorful and organized by the rhythm of the Merengue and Bachata, and with the sounds of drums, guiras, guitars and acordeon, people dance and learn about our culture. The traditional dress has the Dominican flag´s colors: white, red and blue.

Dominican Republic is a paradise for visit and a beautiful place to live.  I remember all these tourist places that I visited in the past, such as  Botanicals, Museums, and Zoo.   In the Botanical Garden I could always enjoy beautiful roses, flowers and trees.  In fact, the national tree of Dominican Republic is The Flamboyan, with colors in orange and yellow out of this world.  Our flowers such as the Cayena and Rose, are really amazing, red and in many colors to choose.  Everywhere you can hear the bird songs, but the sounds of our national bird, The Cigua, can really transport you to another flat.   Really,  you can find  whatever you want or need in Dominican Republic.  Our country is famous too for the diverse gastronomy.  Rice, beans and meats conform our basic plate.  But, you can enjoy the taste of our fruits – Mangos, Cocos, Guayabas, Naranjas, Melones – and many others foods.

Santo Domingo has many buildings, such as schools, banks, private companies and industrial parks.  I have my own house located at Santo Domingo Oriental.  My house was made by my father and uncles. All the structure is based on blocks, and it has three bedroom, one living room, one dining room, a big kitchen and two bathrooms, as well a parking with capacity for six cars.  In my bedroom I have a Jacuzzi and closets made of crystal.  It´s really a homemade like I want.  Because of that, when I think in my house I still feeling the peace and happiness that I felt in the past, with my children running around and enjoying with my loved family.

When you visit my house, you can feel the fresh air, breath armony and enjoy the beautiful pastel colors inside.  I am really blessed to have my house in Dominican Republic.  Now, I have a new home here in New Bedford, MA.  But, for sure I can tell you that I never will forget my Dominican Republic.

1 thought on “Dominican Republic, The Place That I Called Home

1. A good start here on a promising topic–always good to be able to tell your reader about something he/she is unfamiliar with, and you’ve got lots of opportunities here to give many sharp details. You do have some, but I’d suggest looking for places to give more specifics. In para. 2, for example, we get smell of earth, trees, coffee, friendly people, and colorful houses. Can you describe more fully? What details create the unique atmosphere of Santo Domingo? (The pictures are helpful but don’t rely on them to show us your place.)

In paras. 4 and 5 the touristy info about museums, etc. and lots of different kinds of buildings are not that different from what we could say about Boston or Providence. Again, focus on details that paint picture of individuality of Santo Domingo.

In proofreading be sure to write in complete sentences (see para. 1 for some fragments). You do have some places where language is not quite standard English, but I can make more detailed comments about that on later draft when I can more easily “get into” sentences. Overall, fluency is pretty good, and I don’t expect perfect English–the quality of your thought, level of details, organization, and all that writing/thinking sort of stuff will matter more than that you have all idioms at native level.